1.5 tbsp oil
12 cardamom pods
A cinnamon stick
3 tsp cumin seeds
3 onions, chopped
12 garlic cloves, crushed
5cm piece ginger, chopped
2 tins tomatoes
3 green chillies or 2 red (or some dried crushed chilli flakes
1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
1 tsp flaked sea salt
1.5kg stewing lamb, such as diced shoulder
1. Put the first five ingredients into a large saucepan or casserole pot and fry till sizzling and smelling lovely
2. Add the onion and fry gently for 10-15 minutes, stirring once in a while.
3. Add the garlic and ginger and stir for a minute then add the tomatoes, fresh and dried chilli and salt and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Stir in the lamb and 250ml water, bring to the boil then cover and simmer very gently for 1.5-2 hours, adding a little more water if needed.
5. Taste for seasoning and serve with buttery naans and or rice.
This recipe can be found in The Foolproof Freezer Cookbook.